Pizza is a beloved food that is enjoyed all around the world. While many people may stick to the classic cheese options like mozzarella, there are plenty of other delicious and unusual cheese options that can take your pizza game to the next level. As an Italian chef with over 20 years of experience in restaurants, I have experimented with many different cheese varieties on pizza. Here are my top 5 unusual cheese choices for pizza:
- Gorgonzola: Gorgonzola is a type of blue cheese that has a strong, tangy flavor. It pairs well with savory toppings like prosciutto or arugula, and adds a bold and unique flavor to the pizza.
- Fontina: Fontina is a semi-soft cheese that has a nutty and buttery flavor. It melts easily, making it perfect for pizza. It pairs well with toppings like mushrooms, onions, and sausage.
- Smoked Gouda: Smoked gouda is a cheese that has a smoky and slightly sweet flavor. It adds a unique and delicious twist to traditional pizza toppings like pepperoni or ham.
- Feta: Feta is a cheese that is commonly used in Greek cuisine, but it can also be a great addition to pizza. It has a salty and tangy flavor that pairs well with toppings like olives, artichokes, and roasted red peppers.
- Burrata: Burrata is a type of fresh Italian cheese that has a creamy and rich flavor. It's typically served on its own or with simple accompaniments, but it can also be used as a pizza topping. It pairs well with fresh ingredients like tomatoes, basil, and prosciutto.